To meet the basic entry requirements all applicants must:
- Hold a license to practice dentistry in the State of Minnesota, or have plans to obtain licensure within 9 months;
- Propose to increase the availability of dental care in a designated, rural dental HPSA to rural and underserved patients, including people enrolled in public programs;
- Propose to practice in an area where there is evidence of need for increased access to care, based on data and information gathered by the applicant;
- Propose to practice in a town or city with a population of less than 15,000;
- Propose to provide services such that at least 15% of billed patients are patients enrolled in public programs, and to do so in each year of DMD service;
- Have qualifying and documented educational debt held by the US Department of Education or a registered commercial lender;
- Propose to practice general dentistry full-time, at least 4 days a week, for a period of five (5) years;
- Propose to participate in at least one annual event sponsored by the Minnesota Dental Foundation such as Give Kids a Smile (GKAS), Donated Dental Services (DDS), or Minnesota Mission of Mercy.
Special review consideration will be given to applicants that show they meet some or all of the following additional priority criteria:
- Proposes to practice in a) Southern Minnesota with a priority for Winona, Faribault, or Nobles Counties, or b) proposes to practice in Stearns, Wadena, Aitkin, Morrison, Norman, Pennington, Pine, Swift, or Todd Counties.
- Demonstrate a long-term commitment to the proposed practice area;
- Demonstrate experience and ability to work with diverse populations;
- Demonstrate a willingness to embrace emerging workforce and delivery models;
- Hold a dental license for five (5) or fewer years;
- Propose to be involved in additional local community dental events or collaborative programs.